Soup is one of my favorite dishes to eat, especially during the cold winter months. This potato and kale soup is my all-time favorite, and I eat it at least once a week during the winter. I never get tired of this delicious soup, and it’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day!
This potato and kale soup recipe is adapted from the zuppa toscana soup that is popular at Olive Garden. Since I became a vegetarian last year, I omitted the Italian sausage that is typically found in this particular soup, and added carrots for a little more substance. Keep scrolling for the full recipe!
- 1 head of kale
- 5 medium potaoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large stock pot, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add red pepper flakes and oregano. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add water and vegetable broth, then bring to a boil.
- Add sliced potatoes and carrots to the pot. Cook an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender.
- Lower the heat, then add the heavy whipping cream and kale. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with parmesan cheese (optional).
What is your favorite kind of soup?
Also See: Spiced Cranberry Mules for the Holidays